More than ever before, parents in San Antonio and Austin, Texas are focused on providing the
best education possible to their children. Competition for good colleges has increased over
the past few decades and acceptance is no longer a guarantee. This is why parents often begin
to think about education options before their children even reach school age. More and more
home buyers are using the local schools as a primary consideration in choosing a new Texas
home. With all the debate about public vs private schools, how do you know which option
actually provides the best education for your child, in San Antonio or Austin?
Making this important decision requires dedicated research. Understanding the local options,
teacher qualifications, academic programs as well as extra-curricular activities and
opportunities must be thought through with your specific child in mind. One option is to invest
in a school consultant, who will collect and help you navigate the information received.
Another great tool is an online service, such as School Scout, which gathers information on
local school options and gives users the ability to view the options available locally.
Benefits of Public Schools
- Teachers have higher qualifications: On average, public school teachers have higher
educational qualifications than those of private schools. Not only must they pass state
certifications, but they are more likely to have master’s degrees and had more hours of
training, than those in private schools.
- Stronger focus on core subjects: Public schools focus on the basics for more hours each
week than private schools.
- Wider option of activities: Public schools have more money to spend on extra activities.
They can offer theater, arts, music as well as a vast array of sports teams which private
schools might not have the money or student population to include.
- More diverse student population: Private school is expensive and often out-of-reach for many students. Public schools will have students from more economic backgrounds, providing a more diverse environment.
Benefits of Private Schools
- Smaller classrooms: On average, the private school student to teacher ratio is far
smaller than a public school. Typically a private school will have a 9:1 teacher ratio vs
the 25:1 for public schools.
- Strong parent involvement: Private schools not only encourage, but rely on parent
involvement. Parents spending hard-earned money on their child’s education tend to be
more invested and concerned about the education itself.
- Less red tape: Private schools are not required to follow certain state guidelines and
rules. As a result, they can make quick decisions based on a child’s unique need. They
can also spend more time and resources on the education of the students.
Both public and private schools in San Antonio and Austin can offer students a solid
education and school experience. Every community is different, and understanding the pros
and cons of the local choices is becoming more and more important to parents. Proper
research is critical to determine the best course for your child. Consultants and online services
can help by providing all the information you need to make the right choice for your child.